Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Yella' Belly

This week we enjoyed the spoils of the beautiful Barwon River near Walgett with a feast of yellow belly (golden perch). I don't have any pictures of it, but I can tell you that the sweet white meat was simply divine! It was simply pan fried, after very careful and expert filleting and we enjoyed it with homemade potato, beetroot and zucchini crisps and a bright yellow tartare sauce made from our chookies eggs! I find Stephanie Alexanders' mayonnaise the best so far, 1 egg yolk per 100ml oil, easy to remember and delicious! Mixed with a pinch of salt and some lemon juice get the yolk working and then gradually add the oil to emulsify. It is a pretty safe and fool proof recipe (it is actually one I have shown in an earlier post with the tempura).
The girls in for the night!
There are so many things you can do with eggs, they really are a wonderful creation! I love them simply scrambled with a light drizzle of oyster sauce when I am craving something a little sweet savoury in the morning - or, my childhood favourite which I rekindled recently - egg fried in bread! You nib a bit of bread out of the centre of a slice (preferably home made - I make spelt bread) and butter both sides (I use dairy free nuttelex). Fry one side until golden and then flip, crack the egg into the centre and allow to gently cook (you can add a lid at this point to help if you want to speed it up). If you don't like runny eggs (which I do) you can flip again and make a sunny side down version. The clincher of this dish is the addition of freshly picked and roughly chopped curly parsley - which I think should be part of the 80s revival it has so much more flavour and texture that its flat leaf cousin! Salt and pepper is a must! I love this as a Sunday evening supper when you just can't be bothered cooking anything too  much extravagant! The deep crunch of the golden fried bread next to the soft textured egg flesh and the irony green off the parsley...OH YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment